1) Our company name is TopDogs Media, but most clients just call us TopDogs. So the "Media" or "media" can be small / more in the background, if in doubt.
2) If you want to use an icon, take a dog - but make it look edgy, modern, internet & social media savvy. No Paws, and no Disney dogs in Superdog custumes please ;-)
3) An icon is good but not mandatory. Please don't forget the letters, make the whole logo unique, not just an icon with simple letters after it.
4) Our maketing "barks" and "bites", so our logo can do that too (this doesn't mean, we want aggressive dog icons - but make it edgy!)
-> If your design idea also works...
- for a real estate company: it is too corporate
- for a dog grooming service: it is too nice
- for a tattoo studio: it is too hard rock
Hope that helps ;-)