This competition is to create a strong, impressive and engaging illustration for the relaunch of an online support network (http://www.breaking-meth.de) for crystal meth addicts who want to quit or substantially reduce using methamphetamine.
The illustration should combine real photos (landscapes etc.) with photorealistic illustrations (persons, signposts etc.) and should provide hope and faith for a positive future. The illustration should fit / blend nicely into the real photo. The image also should help the users to identify with the site and the online support community. We provide you with an example stock image showing a backpacker in the mountains (we also like the color scheme of this example). Further ideas for moods and themes we want to transport are:
- challenge and achievement while being active
- getting in touch with yourself in nature
- get active: take the first step
- recognizing your own strengths
- overcome setbacks
- overcome relapses
- master challenges
- let/allow others to help you
The current “breaking meth” logo in white on blue background is provided as well as two other example images for your inspiration (taken from: https://bewusst-vegan-froh.de/22-in…zu-ziehen/ and http://sh-lifestylecoaching.com/sta…lich-buch/. The support forum is inspired by the meth recovery book by Joseph Sharp (https://www.quittingcrystalmeth.com…ut-joseph/) which we provide as a German translation for free (http://quittingcrystalmeth.breaking-meth.de).
Image size is 3840px x 1200px. The layout sheet displays the total image in light red. Within the dark red area please position the person or other objects that should not be covered by text or other elements (in our example: the backpacker). The dark red area is 660px x 1200px and is 930 pixels from the left border of the whole image.
Hello! After seeing the first designs, I should probably emphasize a few things:
1. Please check out the layout. Most of the picture should be neutral (landscapes, sky, mountain chain ... ) as it will be covered by text blocks. Significant details / the main element has to be in the dark red area 2. No real people (instead: illustrations, shadows, outlines ...). 3. Landscapes, abstract stuff etc. is good because it is neutral in terms of locality. Therefore, no neigbourhoods etc. that look like US, UK etc. 4. You can use a stock photo (background) with you illustration. In this case please give us a note, where we can find the image so we can check for rights, prizes etc..
Now I have already some designers working on some promising ideas, using the hiking person / mountain-chain imagery. May be you come up now with some additional visual themes. The detail element in the darkred section does not necessariliy have to be a men / women. (could be a signpost, animal illustration, car or wall front with the breaking meth logo sprayed on (you fing a larger image on breaking-methenger.de , which is a spin-of from breaking meth). And the backdrop has to work as showed in the layout for may cropping ratios (with space for text and login-blocks) but doesn't necessariliy have to be a mountain chain or not even a landscape. As long as it works in terms of the concepts, targetgroup (s) described above ...
Update: I've done my first survey and I think we already received some promising sketches.
Their was a little critique (mainly one one image) with someone on a summit, that it reminds a bit on religious pamphlets (jehova witnesses) or even heroic poses from the imagery of the former communist part of germany ;-)). Although I don't think it applies to the images that are still in right now, please keep that in mind. We want to portrait little "heroes" who make their dreams come true. But these heroes went to some tough times in their lives. They don't look like "Wendy" from breaking bad, and they don't have scars and melted faces like in some overexegurated shocking pictures. But they are not hipsters, kung fu style or base jumpers or instagram models. A motive for consumption (mostly but not exclusively) for girls is to lose weight and look like models, abstinence will make them gain weight a first.
The breaking-Meth-platform has a lot of scene credibility, because it is moderated (the social exchange network in the member area) by a young safer nightlife prevention initiative from the field of harm reduction. So it can look a bit "subculture style".
We now have a few promising images with mountain-chains and hill-climpers and encouraged these designer to work them out a bit more. For further ideas we would like to see:
- backdrops other then mountain-chains and blue heavens
- girls / young women rather than guys
- thinking in terms of connectedness (may be a group of three interacting, helping each other
- more ideas how to incorperate the breaking meth logo as and image element
- experiments with subcultural themes (see for example the inspiration pic with the guy on the wall and the graffiti wings).
Good look to all of you!!